The Latin alphabet is used to write Mohkien since the advantage of using a Latin alphabet-based writing system is the convenience of typing it on digital devices, such as mobile phones and computers. Everyone regardless of their native language uses the same QWERTY keyboard since the QWERTY keyboard is the standard keyboard layout that is accepted worldwide.
- Waяlangж ciakд puuiф (We want to eat rice)
Diacritics are used to denote nasalized letters. The current version changes letters with diacritics to letters without diacritics.
As a Sinitic language, Medan Hokkien also has nasalized letters. Nasalized letters mean letters that have nasal sound pronunciation. The nasal sound changes the meaning of a word. Therefore, the nasalized letters must be pronounced correctly in order not to cause misunderstanding. The nasal sound is marked by duplicating the nasalized vowel, such as "aa, ee, ii, oo, uu" to indicate the nasalized sound of the corresponding vowels “a, e, i, o, u”.
- Waяlangж ciakд puuiф (aesthetically better)
- Wa4lang2 ciak1 puui3 (more convenient for typing in chat messages)
Tone MarkersThe four tones of Mandarin Chinese are used in order to make it simpler as opposed to Hokkien's original seven tones. This is done since Mandarin Chinese is a widely studied Chinese language in the world, making it familiar to many people.
The tone markers have gone through several times of development. The history can be traced as the following:
- Cyrillic letters are used as the tone markers. "д" as the first tone. "ж" as the second tone. "ф" as the third tone. "я" as the fourth tone.
- For convenience, these tone markers can be typed by using the number 1,2,3,4.
- The nasal sound is marked by duplicating the nasalized vowel, such as "aa, ee, ii, oo, uu" (representing the older version of "ã, ẽ, ĩ, õ, ũ")
- The vowel "ɛ" is reformed to "ae"
- The vowel "ə" is omitted, and the consonant comes after it is retained., such as "mфsiф" (representing the first version of "əmфsiф")
- The vowel "ɔ" is reformed to "oh"
- Tone markers can be replaced by numbers 1,2,3,4 to represent their corresponding tones